Every now and then we get asked to work on a specific recipe, and this is our latest concoction.
Based on the ever popular Sticky Toffee Pudding, this cupcake includes a moist sticky toffee cake base, topped with a sweet Toffee buttercream, drizzled with custard and finished off with some cracked Toffee pieces.
The Sticky Toffee Cupcake will be available at Uplands Market on Saturday, 25th February. To make sure you get to try one, tweet us or Facebook us to reserve yours.
Got a cupcake you’d love to see us create? Leave a comment below.
Lately we’ve managed to spend a bit more time working on new recipes and flavours, and getting a bit creative. So what’s new for 2017? I have had a little look through the predicted food trends for this year to see what could inspire our next bakes.
1. Matcha This green tea powder has become big in baking, for it’s super bright colour and health benefits. It’s not something we have included in our menu yet, but I think 2017 will be the year.
2. Rainbows & Unicorns The rainbow food trend has been around for a while, and shows no signs of leaving us, especially with the recent intoduction of pastels and sparkles for a magical, Unicorn twist. From Unicorn macarons, to Unicorn toast (!!) it seems no food is safe from the rainbow.
3. Galaxy This trend is newer than the rainbow, but equally as exciting. Usually in deep, wonderful blues, purples and black, with amazing marbled effects and often some glitter. The wonder of deep space has been seen as a glaze on cakes and doughnuts, in the sponge, or piped on top of cupcakes. As I am yet to try a marble glaze, this is one trend I am super excited to try out in 2017…. glaxay glazed donuts, here I come!
4. Vegetable Cakes So we’ve all heard of carrot cake, beetroot in a chocolate cake, maybe even courgette and lemon cake, but vegetables are set to be the next big ingredient in baking. From parsnips & butternut squash to kale & peas there’s a recipe for everything. Soon you’ll be able to get your 5 a day in cake form. Hooray!
5. Vegan, gluten-free & sugar-free Not a trend, but there is a definite shift in the way people are eating, with everyone being much more mindful about what they choose. Each of these diets has been wonderfully catered for by local businesses who specialise in each area, and we cannot compete as we use a whole host of non-vegan and gluten containing products. However, we do like a challenge and will be looking at other ways to replace sugar in our bakes over the coming months.
6. Coconut Flour & alternative grains In a bid to find some naturally gluten-free ingredients to bake with, there is now a wide range of alternative flours and sugars on our shelves. Coconut flour, spelt flour, almond flour, soya flour, are all available to experiment with. Bringing different textures and flavours to cakes.
7. Purple Food
A colour not often found in natural food, purple is set to be ‘the new black’ on your table this year. This rich colour apparently indicates a high level of nutrients and antioxidants. This means more blueberry muffins, blackberry cakes, even purple carrot cake. Not sure about aubergine…but you never know!
8. Food Boxes
Food boxes have again been around for a while, but seem to have taken off over the last year. Whether they contain a selection of snacks, a range of ingredients for you to prepare your own food, or ready made meals there appears to be something for everyone. There are even some baking boxes available on a subscription to give you a chance to try something new. Who knows, maybe you’ll be able to get The Raspberry Cakery on your doorstep in 2017.
9. Edible Insects
I had to include this! It makes me squirm to think about it, but apparently insects are ‘the food of the future’. So, cricket cupcakes, mealworm brownies and locust cookies could be on the menu soon.
So, Swansea, what do you think? Are critter cupcakes your thing? Would you try a Raspberry Cakery recipe box? How about a pea layer cake? We would love to know what you think.
It’s February, and we are back into the full swing of things market-wise, so here is where you will find us this month:
4th February (Saturday) @ Morriston Market, 9am – 1pm
12th February (Sunday) @ Marina Market, 10am – 3pm
25th February (Saturday) @ Uplands Market, 9am – 1pm
You can find out all you need to know about the markets on the website uplandsmarket.com.
We are now taking requests and orders for collection at the markets. Whole layer cakes are available, from £25, and cupcakes and other treats can be requested and reserved.
For layer cake and cupcake gift box orders we need a minimum of 2 working days notice, please contact us via email if you wish to order. Please note: we require a deposit to book the order in, and we will reply to confirm your order has been placed. If you have not recieved an order confirmation, your order has NOT been placed.
To request a specific cupcake flavour or to reserve cupcakes you can do this by email, Facebook message or Twitter. We will do our best to fulfill all requests however we work on a first come, first served basis, and are limited to 10 cupcake flavours per market. Again, please make sure you have recieved a response from us to ensure your request has been seen and met, before travelling to the market.
A photo posted by Rhian Daniel (@raspberrycakery) on
This means that for the foreseeable future, cupcakes and layer cakes can only be ordered for collection from us at markets.
Our next available collection date is Saturday, 28th January at Uplands Market, between 9am and 1pm. To order your cupcakes or layer cakes please email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will get back to you to confirm your order. We look forward to seeing you all at Uplands.
Use the hashtag #theraspberrycakery and make sure to tag us and post your photos by midnight on Monday 31st October.
Our 3 favourites – one each from Facebook, Twitter and Instagram will be selected and notified by social media on Tuesday 1st November.
Terms & Conditions: you mayenter as many different images as you like on any of the three social media platforms. All entries must include at least one of the Halloween edible decorations made and purchased from The Raspberry Cakery. All enties must include the relevant tag for The Raspberry Cakery for the social media platform and the #theraspberrycakery hashtag to be entered. The winners will be chosen by staff members at The Raspberry Cakery on Tuesday 1st November and will be notifed via the relevant social media channel. One winner from each social media channel (Facebook, Twitter & Instagram) will be selected. The winners will be contacted to determine how best to collect their prize.
We have been working on a new idea for a little while now and can’t wait to hear what you think. We love baking and designing cupcakes and know that a lot of you do too! So we are working on some edible decorations and sprinkles for you to buy to use to decorate your own cakes!
With Hallowe’en just around the corner we thought it was the perfect opportunity to launch some spooooooooky decorations. Starting with our Spooky Eyes! These will be available to buy from us at the Marina Market on Sunday 9th October, and we’ll be launching a little competition too. So follow us on Instagram, Twitter & Facebook and check back here on Sunday to find out more!
In the meantime, I’ve made a little video to give you an idea of how you can use our Spooky Eyes.
We would LOVE to hear what you think so please leave us a comment. And here’s a little taster to what you can expect next…….
I can’t believe it has been 6 months since we left 212 High Street! It’s been super busy at Cakery HQ inventing cakes for Copper, keeping up with the ever increasing afternoon teas at Quay Three, baking for Coast Cafe, designing desserts, & supporting Team GB with cupcakes for The Marriott Hotel. Not to mention meeting up with all of our lovely customers at the local markets, including the brand new Morriston Market.
A photo posted by Rhian Daniel (@raspberrycakery) on
With all of this going on we are not taking any future orders for Celebration Cakes. While we do love making them we are not able to keep up with demand and have made the decision to focus on our cupcakes and layer cakes – which are made to order and can be personalised too! Any cakes currently on order will be made, so please don’t worry!